Wednesday, September 09, 2015
The Canadian Hearing Society (CHS) Waterloo, Peel and Hamilton Regions hosted our 9th annual golf tournament with silent and live auctions on Thursday, August 20th at the Carlisle Golf and Country Club, in Carlisle, Ontario. Luther Village was a valued sponsor.
Although the morning started out with pouring rain, the last few raindrops eased up just as our 84 players headed to their carts to start their game.
This year’s new competition, the ‘Best Team Picture’ had players donning costumes, making human pyramids and using their bodies to spell the word “golf.” This creative team of women (pictured at left) went all out for their snapshot and were the easy winners of the contest!
Once a thrilling 18 holes of golf was played, an additional 20 people joined us for a prime rib buffet dinner and our evening festivities. The program was opened by CHS’ CFO, Stephanus Greeff, who excitedly discussed how this is our 75th year as an agency – an important event!
Our silent auction this year was overflowing with more than 80 prizes which included: an iPad, jewellery, Keurig coffee machine, e-reader, Samsung cell phone, handmade knit blanket and more! The live auction, led this year by our energetic emcee, Peter Mitchell, was packed with great prizes:
1) BBQ Package – barbecue, $50 for M&M meats, Pillers pack, stainless steel cooler, BBQ set (value of $375)
2) Toronto Trip – two night hotel stay, 4 passes to the Art Gallery of Ontario, 4 passes to a taping of the Rick Mercer Show, gift certificates to Signs Restaurant, $100 voucher for GO Transit (value of $830)
3) Golf Package – Four Royal Ontario golf passes, golf shirts, Taylormade golf bag (value of $750)
4) Ottawa Trip – VIA Rail voucher, two night hotel stay, four passes to 2 museums, gift certificate to The Keg restaurant (value of $900)
5) Home Entertainment Package – 50” Sony Bravia flat screen tv, Sony Blu-Ray player, James Bond DVD collection (value of $1,270)
Peter, who is Deaf, had his hands flying while auctioning off these great items to eager bidders. It is important to note that our entire evening program is presented simultaneously through voice, American Sign Language and live captioning to be accessible for all.
At this time we have raised approximately $14,000 that will be used to support programs and services for CHS clients in the Peel, Waterloo and Hamilton regions. We couldn’t have done this without the help from many, so we want to say THANK YOU for all of the support we received from our sponsors, donors, participants, interpreters, volunteers and staff! An extra thank you to our sponsor, Luther Village on the Park, for allowing us to contribute to this blog!
Please contact Amanda Moorhead at email@example.com, 519-744-6811, or TTY 1-888-697-3611 if you have any questions or for more information on sponsoring or participating in our 2016 event.